POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What a great site : Re: What a great site Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What a great site
From: Warp
Date: 27 Jul 2009 17:53:59
Message: <4a6e21f7@news.povray.org>
> clipka wrote:
> > "somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> >> Bah! Of course moon exists, and of course it's made of green cheese. The
> >> real riddle is, does it rotate around its own axis?
> >
> > Depends on whether it actually rotates around the earth ;)

> It actually doesn't. It rotates around the sun.  If you actually do the
> math, you find that the attraction of the sun on the moon when it's on the
> sunwards side of the earth is stronger than the attraction of the earth on
> the moon.

  It is possible for a body to rotate around more than one other body at
the same time.

  Of course with the Earth-Moon system it gets a bit blurry because the
two bodies basically rotate around each other, rather than the Moon purely
rotating around the Earth. The deviation the Moon causes on the Earth is
rather significant (I think it's something like 5000 km).

--
                                                          - Warp