POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Turing determination : Re: Turing determination Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turing determination
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jul 2009 12:14:43
Message: <4a6dd273$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I wonder how many of these properties are decidable for "real-world"
> programs...

There are many useful properties which are easy to determine, yes.

That you didn't violate the type system. That you didn't use a variable
before you assigned to it. Etc.  However, most of those types of properties
are restricted to the "I can prove you don't" versions, as mentioned earlier
in the type system discussion.

Depending on the implementation language, it may be feasible to prove lack
of deadlock, lack of livelock, compatibility between server and client,
compatibility between two servers (i.e., a client that works with serverV1
will also work with serverV2), and so on. However, it often gets very
exponential very quickly, especially in more procedural vs functional
languages.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."