POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Turing determination : Re: Turing determination Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turing determination
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jul 2009 11:47:03
Message: <4a6dcbf7$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

>> This seems relevant:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice%27s_theorem
>>
>> Now, if only it wasn't completely incomprehensible...
>
> So, to summarise:
>
>   For any property that some functions have and some functions don't
> have, it is impossible to tell whether a given function has that
> property just by examining the computer program that implements the
> function.
>
> (Or rather, for one specific program it might be possible, but it's not
> possible for *every possible* program...)
>
> Is that about right?

Yes, that sounds right to within the limits of english prose vs mathematics.
:-) Pluralize "computer program" and you're a touch closer, since there can
be many programs that implement the same function, but you can't tell what
they are. ;-)

Basically, you can think of it as "you can turn any problem into the halting
problem."  Anything that some programs do and some don't, you can turn into
the halting problem.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."