POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneaky Giant : Re: Sneaky Giant Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sneaky Giant
From: Warp
Date: 26 Jul 2009 19:00:35
Message: <4a6ce013@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Carriers of the Ford class will incorporate many new design features including
> [...] stealthier features to help reduce radar profile"

> Uh-huh... yes, that makes perfect sense of course... hiding an aircraft
> carrier...

> HUH???

> How can you be stealthy about an *Aircraft Carrier*??

  Even stealth planes are not totally "stealthy". They are invisible to
radar only when farther away than a minimum distance from a radar. Of
course for bombers and small fighter planes this minimum distance is
enough for practicaly purposes (they seldom fly at low altitudes right
over an enemy radar).

  I imagine that the idea in making an aircraft carrier stealthier is that
it's more difficult to detect by radar from a long distance, so it can
get closer to the enemy without being detected (and then send the planes).

--
                                                          - Warp