POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Torturing the CPU : Re: Torturing the CPU Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torturing the CPU
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jul 2009 04:18:00
Message: <4a6abfb8@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Ok, so I've decided to use Prime95 to hammer the CPU for a while
>
> Some observations from SpeedFan:
>
> * Core 2 is consistently the hottest.
>
> * Core 3 is consistently the coolest.
>

> This is a case with tons of fans in it... lol. I'm betting it's about

> * Either I've botched the install of the stock heatsink, or the stock
> heatsink is barely adequate. Max observed core temp so far is around

> * The system is stable. No errors yet. There's no sign of throttling down.
>
> * The weird thing is when the system is idle, it does throttle down the
> processor. I've seen it run at around 1.8ghz when there is no load.

Holy! I get freaked out when mine starts hitting around 110.2F, or
42.4C... And I am "fairly" sure that I start to see system stutter and
more lag in games, when its hitting that, where are at 102F/39C, things
run with little or no problems at all. I constantly fight with the
others in the house because my room it usually 5-6 degrees warmer than
the rest of the house, and the morons put the thermostat right outside
the door of this room.

Mind, this isn't the temp from the internal sensor, its from one placed
against the chip, and showing on the front panel, so it may be higher in
reality. Still.. Yikes..

Hmm. Ok, the sensor on the front is showing 98.4->99F/36.88C->37.22C,
while the sensor software is saying 38->40C. GPU is showing 48C, but I
also have temps 1, 2, 3, HD and two cores (its a one core processor), at
25C, 36C, 71C, 40C and 49C respectively. The 71X is showing a flame next
to it, which I presume isn't necessarily good. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();