POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! : Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jul 2009 03:57:20
Message: <4a6abae0@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> After waiting for it to get to 97% of the download and finally giving
>> up and going to dinner, I come back after 2 hours to find a dialog box
>> saying "This is going to take about an hour to install what you just
>> downloaded. Are you sure you want to start it?"
>
> Hehe, I was copying over about 80GB of data to an external harddrive, I
> watched it for about 5 minutes while it was "discovering files" or some
> such until it said 2 hours 53 remaining or whatever.  I came back a few
> hours later and there was a "Do you want to copy this file without it's
> properties?" dialog box and it had hardly started the copying!  Is it
> too hard to ask that it continues to copy other files while it is
> waiting for you to answer a question about one file?

Oh, hell. My number one pet peeve... Move a directory, or like 200
files. ***One*** frakking file, like 21 files in is "in use" by some
process some place, and you don't remember that, so Windows not only
pops up a damn dialog telling you that its in use, it promptly stops
transferring ***any*** of the other files. Mind, this may be like 3-4
files out of the 200 that are in that state, and your just trying to
move the other ones, knowing its going to be easier to do that, than
hand select all the ones you do want to copy, and spend an hour trying
to work out which ones you can't/don't want moved (i.e., maybe you don't
really want it to move the data files you have open for Paint Shop Pro,
but you "do" want to move all the movie files in the directory, or
something.. But, no, the moment it hits a "sorry, you can't move a file
already in use", it gets completely stupid, and won't copy any other
files either. Sigh...

Then again.. Painshop Pro X2. Morons, for no sane reason, since you
can't edit/open/play them, decided to do two things that are just
asinine, 1) have it scan for "all" recognized media, even the ones it
can't open, with no option to turn this off, and 2) scan all
subdirectories in the path you have open, again, with no way to turn it
off. Got a lot of damn images, clips, etc. in My Documents. First time I
ran the thing it spent 30 minutes looking, then I nuked it. Second time,
I let it run, and it took almost 2 hours. No idea why, except that it
seems to also be scanning to "contents" of the damn files too, so, of
course, a 800M video is going to take it a million years to look
through, before deciding it doesn't contain anything else it can do
anything with. Needless to say, unless they correct this issue, there
isn't going to be a PSPX3 on this machine, and I still use the older
PSPX version for all my editing, since it doesn't have this problem.

Mind you, the MS file handling annoys me a lot more, since I can't
downgrade to a version that doesn't bloody do it. lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {