POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: Chambers
Date: 24 Jul 2009 23:36:41
Message: <4a6a7dc9$1@news.povray.org>
David H. Burns wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity (but you keep saying things like this, so I have
>> to ask), where have you seen OOP programming?
>>

> Your point is well taken. I have *never* seen OOP *programming*.

<snip>

> To actually see OOP "programming", I suppose I would have to see some
> one actually coding in OOP.

I don't think you understood my point.  I'm not talking about watching
someone as they write code.  I'm talking about the source code itself.

What source code have you seen that scared you so badly away from OOP?

My guess (and it's just a hunch at this point), is that the OOP itself
isn't what scared you, but rather the complexity of the program.  If
this is the case, then you're almost certainly guaranteed that the
program would have looked *worse* if it weren't OO.

Something that people don't tend to believe: programming is *hard*.  It
is *not* a simple matter to sit down with a sheet of requirements, and
pound out the class (though having a properly written spec makes it
easier).  And, believe it or not, most programmers' jobs could *not* be
done by a bunch of monkeys.

It's not for everyone, and some people are more suited to using the
programs they have than writing new ones.

--
Chambers