POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: David H  Burns
Date: 24 Jul 2009 18:16:14
Message: <4a6a32ae$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks. This is the best and most concise explanation of the basic
tenets of OOP that
I have read. Much better, for instance, than that in "OOP for Dummies".
clipka wrote:

>> This seems to be true, where would I find some *real* OOP to look at?
>
> I don't know whether there exists such a thing as "real OOP to look at".
> Whatever code you look at, if you're not familiar with the language you'll
> probably see more of the language's peculiaritis than you'll see of the
> programmer's original thoughts.

Perhaps I should have said where could I find some simple examples of
good OOP
programming. Any that would be very useful to me might be hard to find.
I have some
Python code for producing a Windows GUI "wrapper" around old Fortran
code. The results
are quite impressive. It's likely that this code would be as good
example as I can find --
though it's not especially simple.

> Academic languages are peculiar anyway; and non-academic languages tend to
> accumulate traits over time that are peculiar because the original language
> didn't have them.

  The current POV-Ray SDL is so
> well-suited to its basic task that it would be imprudent to go very far from
> that, as far as the effective syntax is concerned.
Amen!

:) David