POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A surprising discovery : Re: A surprising discovery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A surprising discovery
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jul 2009 12:15:01
Message: <4a69de05$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> (Anybody have any clue how the relational calculus is different from
>>> the relational algebra??)
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Care to explain?

It's kind of like the difference between functional and procedural.

In the calculus, you say "give me a table with the name, salary, and hire
date from table X and table Y where X.name=Y.name and salary < 500"

In the algebra, you say "join table X and Y, and from that select the ones
where the names are the same, and from that select the ones where the salary
is < 500, and from that project over name, salary, and hire."

Think of SQL compared to something like

(((X join Y) select {salary < 500})
     select {X.name = Y.name}) project [name,salary,hire]

Only select, project, and join are defined in the algebra. There's no
"exists" and such.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."