POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A surprising discovery : Re: A surprising discovery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A surprising discovery
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jul 2009 11:39:06
Message: <4a69d59a$1@news.povray.org>
>> (Anybody have any clue how the relational calculus is different from
>> the relational algebra??)
>
> Yes.

Care to explain?

>> SQL is basically the relational algebra with COBOL-style syntax.
>
> Actually, it's relational calculus with COBOL-style syntax. ;-)

You know, until I read COBOL, I had no idea SQL looked like COBOL. (OMG,
I think we have reached a tautology here!) But having seen COBOL, SQL
really does seem overly wordy and silly... heh. :-D

>> All of this makes me wonder... What would happen if somebody designed
>> a language which was exactly like Haskell, but had syntax like Pascal
>> or something? What if it didn't use terms like "monad" and "functor"
>> and "existential quantification", but used something more
>> concrete-sounding?
>
> Go for it. Then write a parser to translate it into Haskell.

Heh. Assuming I don't give it a type system which exceeds Haskell's
expressive power. >:-D

But an interpretter should definitely be possible. Especially since it's
easier to parse... ;-) I might even build a debuggar.