POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: David H  Burns
Date: 24 Jul 2009 10:51:24
Message: <4a69ca6c$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> I'd guess you *do* some "OOP (= Object Oriented Programming) thinking" when
> working with POV-Ray; it's just that you don't notice, because you admittedly
> don't know what Object Oriented Programming actually is -
We may all be engaging in muddy thinking and language here. I do kind of
think
in terms of "objects" when using Pov-Ray, but I wouldn't call that "OOP
(= Object
Oriented Programming) thinking", even if that phrase means
anything--which I doubt.
It might be more accurate to say that I am writing code which conforms
to the syntax dictated by
the SDL -- regardless of what kind of thinking leads to it. As I have
said several times before:
I think the concept of "object" is a real advance in programming but
"OOP" seems
a lot more than simpling making use of "objects" which "contain" both
data members
and functions ("methods")

>you only know how
> typical end results from such thought processes look like, when formulated in a
> general-purpose language retrofitted to better support such formulations
> ("better" as in "better than nothing") - a language which, by the way, would
> surely happen to be unsuited for a POV-Ray SDL.

This seems to be true, where would I find some *real* OOP to look at?

David