POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! : Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh!
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jul 2009 02:02:39
Message: <4a694e7f$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> I feel your pain. On the other hand, you didn't start a large download, go
> back to typing code, have the file move dialog pop up on you and steal focus
> after the download finished with the cancel button highlighted, at which
> time you happened to be pressing enter.

That happens often enough I don't even argh over it any more. I have no idea
why Vista decided to turn off focus-stealing-prevention. That was
*wonderful*. :-)

> files comes to the rescue, but one has to wonder 1) why downloads aren't
> saved to the place you instructed in the first place

Because then they wouldn't be cached. Remember that IE isn't the only piece
of code that uses that cache. The program doing the downloads have no idea
where you "told it to save the file". It's downloading a URL, not
manipulating files. Maybe it's a java applet you're going to reload every
time you open the home page, or a font you use in all your documents.

Granted, it could be better, but firefox doesn't have to deal with being
someone else's library.

> 2) if whoever came up
> with the idea of a popups that steal focus with default buttons is aware
> that it's not DOS anymore and people do multitask

Pop-ups should never steal focus. XP got that 99% right. Vista seems to
steal focus always, unless you want it to.

> 3) Even though previous
> snafu was fixed more recently, why, in this day and age, program(mer)s
> mostly still play dumb and apply the same logic to 3 bytes of data as they
> do to 3GB and progress bars and time estimators are next to useless?

That too. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."