POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! : Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh!
From: somebody
Date: 24 Jul 2009 01:45:36
Message: <4a694a80$1@news.povray.org>
news:4a692b8b$1@news.povray.org...
> That wasn't very coherent, was it?
>
> After waiting for it to get to 97% of the download and finally giving up
and
> going to dinner, I come back after 2 hours to find a dialog box saying
"This
> is going to take about an hour to install what you just downloaded. Are
you
> sure you want to start it?"
>
> F'ing A, Microsoft! That's why I filled out your form and agreed to the
> license! WTF, just gooooo!

I feel your pain. On the other hand, you didn't start a large download, go
back to typing code, have the file move dialog pop up on you and steal focus
after the download finished with the cancel button highlighted, at which
time you happened to be pressing enter. Granted, the temporary internet
files comes to the rescue, but one has to wonder 1) why downloads aren't
saved to the place you instructed in the first place 2) if whoever came up
with the idea of a popups that steal focus with default buttons is aware
that it's not DOS anymore and people do multitask 3) Even though previous
snafu was fixed more recently, why, in this day and age, program(mer)s
mostly still play dumb and apply the same logic to 3 bytes of data as they
do to 3GB and progress bars and time estimators are next to useless?