POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 23 Jul 2009 23:23:07
Message: <4a69291b@news.povray.org>
On 07/23/09 13:12, David H. Burns wrote:
>> You clearly don't understand what "object-oriented programming" means.
>> Then you come here to tell us that you don't want it, whatever it
>> might be.
>>
> I have seen a number of object oriented programs. And I did not like
> what I say.
> They are pretty nigh incomprehensible to me. I know they were produced
> (or claimed to
> be produced) by object oriented programming. Now it's true that the

	OK. Now I'm _really_ confused!

	Was your initial concern that POV-Ray - the *software* - will be coded
using OOP?

	Or was it that the language that *users* of POV-Ray will have to use to
describe their scenes will be OO?

	If the former, then your fears are way, way, off, and I suspect along
with the others, that you don't know what OOP is.

	Yes, POV-Ray 3.7, the *software* will be written in C++, and will very
likely use OO principles. However, I believe that the actual scripts
that you as a *user* will write, will stay almost the same.

	*That* should be of really no bother to you. You may not know this, but
a _huge_ amount of the software that you use was actually written using
OO principles, in an OO language. Almost all large projects that were
coded in C++ use OOP (and again, I'm sure you use *many* programs coded
in C++). Everything written in Java uses OOP. Lots of stuff written in
Python use OOP.

	Now if your concern is the latter (that you as a *user* will have to
describe your scene using OOP), then your concerns are not entirely
unfounded, but they won't be relevant for a while. 3.7 will allow you to
code as you have mostly done.

	Version 4.0, though, will quite possibly have a different scene
description language and the syntax you will use to describe your scene
will be quite different. It's very likely that this will be OO, but as
I've said a bunch of times, if they make a good SDL, it'll be
straightforward. It could even be done in a way that a new user will not
have to know what OO is, and only intermediate or advanced users will
deal with the details of OOP.

--
Thesaurus: prehistoric reptile with a great vocabulary.