POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arrrgh : Re: Arrrgh Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrrgh
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 23 Jul 2009 22:29:04
Message: <4a691c70$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> New MB decided it didn't want to boot anymore. Rebooted after adding
>> software: System would beep, The MB logo would show, screen would
>> blank, system would beep, the MB logo would show, screen would blank ...
>
> Didn't you mention that the PSU you were using was a bit on the low side
> for your hardware?  Maybe the CPU and GPU combination all firing up to
> max at boot is enough to reset the PSU?
>
> If you haven't already boxed it up, maybe you could try with an older 3D
> card that isn't as power hungry...
>
> Just an idea.

Well, at the advice of some people on the support forums, I decided to
try the board outside of the case, with nothing but the monitor and
keyboard connected.

Worked perfectly...

I'm wondering now if the USB hard drive that was plugged in was causing
it to reboot itself. The cable has been a bit dodgy lately, and I
noticed it flaked out a bit on the old MB, vista complained about it
being an unknown device... so, maybe that was it... <shrug>

Vista stayed activated. Neat-o.