POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't C Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't C
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Jul 2009 17:51:48
Message: <4a68db74$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> As I said, lots of kernels are written in FORTH (for small machines) or Ada
>> (for dangerous machines).
>
>   I wonder why Ada never got much popularity, even though it was really
> pushed at some point (especially by the US government, AFAIK). Was it
> lack of compilers for common hardware or something?

Expense, I think. The GNU Ada compiler is currently the most featureful out
there. But to call yourself Ada (at least for the first decade or so) you
had to pay a fairly large sum to pass certification tests. You couldn't put
something out there you'd thrown together, followed most but not all of the
standard, and had compiler bugs you'd fix in the next release, and still
market an Ada compiler.

Since things like compilers *are* things for which FOSS works great, that
kind of put a big dent in Ada's adoption, I think. That and the FUD, of course.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."