POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't C Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't C
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Jul 2009 17:49:47
Message: <4a68dafb$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> How high is the influence of the most favorite programming languages on the
> further development hardware design?

Exactly. The Intel line of x86s was originally designed for Pascal. You can
tell by looking at the four segments (which map exactly to Pascal data
spaces) and the "ret n" instruction, even if there wasn't historical
documentation backing it up.

> Maybe the latter is somewhat comforting. Not that the pure *existence* of
> dangerous machines would be.

I figure if you're writing any code that kills >100 people when it crashes,
you probably shouldn't be writing it in a language that wasn't designed for
that. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."