POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
9 Oct 2024 19:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jul 2009 09:15:35
Message: <4a686277$1@news.povray.org>
>> This is where I mutter something about functional programming being
>> the future, and everybody agrees with me...
>
> There is still some debate about that, of course :)

That was actually sarcasm. ;-)

> For one, OOP more closely models how many people think of problems,
> while functional programming more closely models how mathematicians
> think of problems.

Depends who you think you're aiming your programming language at.

> It is not yet clear which one is better for managing
> large, complex programs in general.

People who use Haskell casually build interpretters, compilers, logic
simulation systems, and other things usually thought of as "hard" in
normal programming languages. Whether this is to do with Haskell or the
sort of people who use Haskell remains to be seen of course... ;-)

> (especially since there are many
> things a computer does that are still more closely aligned with
> imperative programming.  These things are easier to wrap in OOP, which
> has concepts for both data and actions).

One might ask when computers will start to be designed to operate in a
more functional way...