POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image_map on more than x-y plane? : Re: image_map on more than x-y plane? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 01:58:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map on more than x-y plane?
From: Alain
Date: 22 Jul 2009 18:54:15
Message: <4a679897$1@news.povray.org>

> I want to create a rounded cube with one image mapped to all 6 sides. I tried
> using image_map, but this only gives me two (opposite) sides (and one is
> mirrored). I do understand how image_map works, so maybe it is just not the
> right tool for what I want.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -- rob-p

If you don't use the version 3.7 beta, for whatever reason:

If you want the same image to appears on all 6 sides, you can make a
small box. You apply the image to that box, and place 6 copies to make
each faces and use a frame of cylinders and spheres to make the rounded
edges. The images will not meet but will be separated by the rounded edges.
The same can be done with 6 different images using one for each faces.

If you have one image that you want to wrap around your cube:
You'll need to model each faces separately, including part of the
rounded edges.
Using scale and translate, you apply part of your image to each faces.
Finaly, you rotate and translate the parts to build the complete box.

Alain