POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Turing determination : Re: Turing determination Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turing determination
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jul 2009 10:39:04
Message: <4a672488$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> - What is the "most powerful" language for which you *can* tell is an
> arbitrary program will halt?

I forget what it's called, but basically anything with for loops instead of
while loops does the trick. You have to rule out recursion also.
Essentially, anything with indefinite loops is out, as far as I understand.

> Can you determine whether a particular execution path is ever
> taken?

No. That's called the "printing problem". Put a halt statement on that
execution path.

> Or whether a given variable will ever be read/written?

Put a halt statement everywhere you read or write that variable.

> You can't
> determine whether two programs do the same thing, but can you determine
> whether one algorithm is the inverse of another?

No, because then you could determine whether a third program does the same
thing as the first, if they're both inverses of the same program.

See how it goes?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."