POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Job statistics : Re: Job statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Job statistics
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2009 10:03:02
Message: <4a671c16$1@news.povray.org>
JimT wrote:

> Firemen don't get well paid for 2 reasons:
>
> 1) For every job advertised, there are MANY applicants - so economics keeps the
> pay down.
>
> 2) It isn't a particularly dangerous job. Google 'Britain's most dangerous
> jobs'. Fireman isn't even on the list for the first pick. I tried to find out
> how
> many firemen there are in Britain and failed, but while there are 103 per
> 100,000 fisherman fatalities and 3.7 per 100,000 construction worker
> fatalities, firemen are well trained and equipped. Fatalities happen when they
> go into huge warehouses that collapse on them, not in house fires.
>
> Mind you, fishermen aren't too well paid either.

I guess being in the middle of the ocean, hundred of miles from help,
makes it fairly easy to get into trouble and die before anybody can get
there to rescue you...

> As for doctors vs accountants and lawyers, doctors tend to like to feel
> important and will therefore over-report salaries, while accountants are well
> used to minimising tax and will tend to undereport salaries. And there are
> quite a few 'accountants' in low grade jobs.

Yeah, I guess the "accountants" that you hear about are the guys at the
top. I'm sure top lawyers make a fair bit more than the median too...

> As for lawyers, they are (on average) a bunch of money grubbing, lying, self
> important, devious shysters who have no more respect for equity and justice
> than they have for their clients. I don't know what bearing that has on
> reported salaries.

LMAO! Nice...