POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't C Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't C
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2009 08:58:16
Message: <4a670ce8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   My problem with Haskell is that it's hard to learn. It's like it's 1% of
> syntax and 99% of "clever" tricks which you just have to learn from somewhere
> (often by word of mouth). And these tricks are often rather exotic and
> unintuitive to an imperative/OO programmer.

I must concurr with Warp here on the "not written down anywhere" part.
People are doing a lot of very cool stuff with Haskell, but it can be
maddeningly hard to find answers.

(E.g., somebody implemented a Doom clone in Haskell, and wrote a paper
explaining how they did it. Except that the paper is utterly
incomprehensible. It makes no sense at all. It's so badly explained that
I just can't follow any of it.)

Actually, I think Warp's assessment of Haskell is about right. Haskell
is like Go. The "rules" are simple, but the "game" is not.