POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't C Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't C
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2009 08:54:40
Message: <4a670c10$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> If you have automake, a few of those tasks become automated. But
>> seriously, I'm used to having a language where you say "compiler my
>> stuff" and it hands you a runnable program.
>
> VS does most of that for you too (you just press F5 and it compiles and
> links the lot, automatically only compiling files that have changed
> since the last build), and you don't need to have separate header files
> if you don't want to.  A lot of people just find it makes more sense to
> have one file that neatly shows the interfaces and another to actually
> contain the implementation code.

Now that's interesting.

1. How does it know which files depend on which other files?

2. A header file is what defines what can be accessed from outside a
given source file. Without a header file, how do you determine what's
supposed to be public and what isn't?

>  From my point of view Haskell looks over-complicated, difficult and
> slow, but I suspect that's just because I haven't bothered to learn much
> about it.

To use Haskell, you need to learn something like half a dozen basic
principles. After that it's just figuring out "OK, how the hell do I
perform task X?" Learning C++ it just seems like learning feature after
feature after feature, seemingly without end. (C is a lot simpler, it's
just astonishingly easy to shoot yourself in the foot with it.)

> Anyway, the motivation for you is all those job adverts you say you keep
> seeing...

Yeah, but let's think about this. I could spend a few months failing to
learn C++. Hell, maybe I could even write a small program that actually
works. But I'm up against people who have coded in nothing but C++ since
they were 9 years old. I don't really stand much of a chance here...