POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't C Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't C
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2009 08:21:26
Message: <4a670446$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> - Splitting a program into more than one source file opens up a whole
>> new world of pain. (Especially if you don't have the benefit of
>> automake.)
>
> You don't have to do this, and for tiny programs it's probably not
> needed. For larger programs I cannot begin to imagine how inefficient it
> would be to have it all in one file, let alone when I want to reuse an
> existing class in another project.

The point is, as soon as you have more than one source file, you have to
manually write header files, manually keep them synchronised with the
source files, manually figure out the dependency tree, manually compile
everything one at a time, manually recompile stuff as needed, and
manually link it all at the end. Get any single step wrong, and at best
you'll get an incomprehensible linker error; at worst you'll get a
segfault. Good luck every figuring out why.

If you have automake, a few of those tasks become automated. But
seriously, I'm used to having a language where you say "compiler my
stuff" and it hands you a runnable program.

> You sound like you need to get a decent book on C++ (NOT C) and get a
> modern IDE (Visuall C++ Express will let you do standard C++ without any
> .net stuff and is free).

I've seen more adverts for C than for C++ (although there certainly seem
to be quite a few for C++ as well). I think I might still have VS
installed on my PC at home. I guess it's just finding the motivation to
use a language which is over-complicated, unsafe and difficult when I
could instead use one which is clean, simple and easy...

> Of course if you're stuck writing a whole program in one C file in
> notepad things are gonna suck big time.

Actually, Borland's TurboC for DOS IDE. (Or, alternatively, Vim under
Linux.)