POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Job statistics : Re: Job statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Job statistics
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2009 06:11:29
Message: <4a66e5d1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Logically, you might expect there to be a correlation between how rare
>> a profession is and how much they get paid.
>
> That doesn't sound very logical to me.  I think it's more to do with the
> supply and demand, ie how many posts are available compared to how many
> (suitable) people are willing to fill them.

Hmm, I guess...

>> You might also expect dangerous jobs to pay more.
>
> Yes, if all other factors are equal between two jobs.

And yet, it seems fire fighters don't actually earn much money at all.
(Considering that their job is vitally important, ludicrously dangerous,
highly skilled and directly relevant to human life.)

I wonder if soldiers get paid any better... nope, WA doesn't have any
data for that one.

>> But mostly, I'm just surprised that [except for doctors, who are the
>> clear outliers here] programmers supposedly earn more than everybody
>> else, by quite some margin.
>
> Did you try "engineer"?  FTW!

Heh. More than the programmers, but still nowhere near doctors. ;-)

> The thing with doctors/surgeons etc is that you need a lot of high
> quality education to become one *and* you have a huge responsibility
> with respect to human lives.  Also why pilots get paid quite a lot.

Pilots get more than anybody else I've looked at, but still far behind
doctors...