POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Job statistics : Re: Job statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Job statistics
From: scott
Date: 22 Jul 2009 05:47:32
Message: <4a66e034$1@news.povray.org>
> Logically, you might expect there to be a correlation between how rare a
> profession is and how much they get paid.

That doesn't sound very logical to me.  I think it's more to do with the
supply and demand, ie how many posts are available compared to how many
(suitable) people are willing to fill them.

> You might also expect dangerous jobs to pay more.

Yes, if all other factors are equal between two jobs.

> But mostly, I'm just surprised that [except for doctors, who are the clear
> outliers here] programmers supposedly earn more than everybody else, by
> quite some margin.

Did you try "engineer"?  FTW!

The thing with doctors/surgeons etc is that you need a lot of high quality
education to become one *and* you have a huge responsibility with respect to
human lives.  Also why pilots get paid quite a lot.