POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: David H  Burns
Date: 21 Jul 2009 17:10:52
Message: <4a662edc@news.povray.org>
I've looked at enough OOP programs. Pov-Ray's current scripting language
  is easy to use once you learn the syntax. All that the introduction of
OOP would do
is to make it more difficult and time consuming to write a workable
script. It matters
little to me if the Pov-Ray source is written in OOP, though I think it
would be a step
  backwards or maybe side ways. (In fact it will probably become
necessary for the source
code to be written in OOP at least until the fad dies.) I am unlikely to
look much at the source
  code. I looked at it earlier because I wanted to try to do something
that I thought couldn't be done
current Pov-Ray --make a "mirror" surface whose "reflection" is
controlled by a supplied
algorithm. I now think that this can be done (at least to some extent)
with "normals".

What I don't want to see is the scripting language OOPified! As I said
it already uses "object" with "data
  members" and "methods", but it doesn't require the complex and (to my
mind) arcane OOP structure
and "philosophy".

David