POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Questionable optimizations : Re: Questionable optimizations Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable optimizations
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jul 2009 13:39:52
Message: <4a65fd68$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Anyway, we're talking about a thing here that is very simple to identify
> automatically.

Certainly. And for that matter, it *was* identified automatically. It's just
that the wrong solution was taken. :-)

> For a project like the Linux kernel that is aimed at high portability,

Well, no.  The Linux kernel wasn't started aimed at high portability. Just
the opposite, really.

> - The most common C compilers for the most common platforms are used so heavily
> that even compiler bugs related to unconventional cases are still quite likely
> to manifest soon.

True.

> Another reason is speed, of course, but just like with Assembler it could be
> argued that only the most heavily-used portions of a project should resort to C
> for speed these days.

Mmmm.... Debatable. :-)  It really depends on the rest of the system. If
you're writing in some language fundamentally different from C, you might
spend more time translating into C data structures than you do to run it.
Nobody says "Wow, this SQL query is really slow. Let's rewrite it in C."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."