POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images :  : Re: Etienne-Louis Boull=E9e: Cenotaph for Newton (1784) WIP Server Time
4 May 2024 02:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Etienne-Louis Boull=E9e: Cenotaph for Newton (1784) WIP
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jul 2009 05:20:01
Message: <4a658841$1@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> schreef in bericht
> I had to look this up in Wikipedia; what a monumental design!  "A sphere
> 500
> feet high..." I wonder if that's even larger (in diameter) than the dome
> of St.
> Peter's Basilica in Rome? It appears to be.

I am not sure, but it could well be indeed.

> It seems to bear striking similarities to Albert Speer's later designs for
> Adolphe Hitler--basic shapes and forms on a grand scale.

Interesting you say that, like Clipka. The philosophy behind those designs

influence Speer indeed, and also I guess, the 'organic' architecture.

Contrary to Speer who wanted to show-off the dominance of man in grandiose

awe for nature, in particular with this cenotaph. The interior in particular
would have been breath-taking with simulated night sky.

> Nice modeling work!

Thanks! I shall try to add all exterior details and make the trees more
random, and then see if I can do something worthwhile with the interior. Not
sure, though...

Thomas