POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Questionable optimizations : Re: Questionable optimizations Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable optimizations
From: Warp
Date: 19 Jul 2009 10:11:48
Message: <4a6329a4@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding 8bit, charset: iso-8859-1, 18 lines --]

> Doctor John <joh### [at] homecom> wrote:
> > What bothers me (apart from the unwanted optimisation) is why Torvalds
> > et al have chosen to remain silent on this.

> What? And lose ground on their "safest operating system on earth" territory?

> I did believe that, too, but hearing these news and thinking about the
> background and how the "top hats" went to deal with the issue, I guess it's
> time to start thinking out of the box once again: The Linux developer
> community, too, want to "sell" their products in a way. Both their kernel, and
> their FSF ideals.

> Now, after always claming that free software is the superior development
> approach, they prove that some of its drawbacks are potentially more serious
> than they would like them to be.

  Aren't you exaggerating a bit?

  Do you know how many serious security holes are found each year in Linux?
I think the number is in the *hundreds*. A few of these bugs each year provide
a way to get root privileges by running a program exploiting the bug. It has
happened dozens of times in the past, and it will happen in the future. This
is just another one of those.

  (And before anyone says anything, no, Windows is not better. Windows is
year after year always at the top of the list of most security flaws found
during the year.)

  You *can't* expect the OS to be completely safe.

--
                                                          - Warp