POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Questionable optimizations : Re: Questionable optimizations Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable optimizations
From: Doctor John
Date: 19 Jul 2009 08:45:18
Message: <4a63155e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Doctor John wrote:
>> At a guess that would be:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/17/linux_kernel_exploit/
>
> Yes, but since that wasn't the point of my question and people might
> reasonably assume I'm bashing on Linux if I posted a link to it, I
> thought I'd omit it.  The question was why the compiler felt the need
> for *that* optimization in the first place. When would it ever be a good
> idea?

Actually, I was going to ask the group the same question but you just
beat me to it :-) and you could hardly assume that I was in any way
anti-Linux.
What bothers me (apart from the unwanted optimisation) is why Torvalds
et al have chosen to remain silent on this.
Another thing to remember is that it is not only the kernel code that is
the problem here, it's also gcc - so comments from the Stallman camp
would also be appropriate.

John
--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei