POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The rest of my computer will arrive tomorrow : Ooooh... Shiney! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:10:32 EDT (-0400)
  Ooooh... Shiney!
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 18 Jul 2009 02:39:53
Message: <4a616e39$1@news.povray.org>
I built it. It works. It even booted my (prepared) Vista install without
trouble.

And it's FAST! Real fast...

Photoshop benefited greatly from the quad core processor.. I can do some
stuff in realtime now.

Most surprisingly was Flight Simulator X. Which has been a bit of a
let-down for me since my wife gave it to me when it came out. I could
never run it on any more than bare minimum settings. So imagine my
surprise when I pressed the "Set Defaults" button and it came up with a
new default setting: Every single graphic item maxed out!

So, with some trepidation, I went ahead and started a flight. There were
trees.. lots of trees, and a town of houses below, and ... the airport
actually buildings everywhere!

And it all ran as smooth as glass! Holy cow, I'm impressed!

the 3850 was a $50 card. I had the AGP version of it. This is the PCIe
version, and it seems .... faster... more capable.

I can't believe how insanely fast this system is.

The case I bought keeps itself very cool. (OK, so it has 6 12cm fans,
now ... 2 pushing 80cfm, others pushing 40 or so )The processor actually
reports the temp of each individual core... I can watch as cores heat up

I'm happy to report POV 3.7 screams through even the toughest scenes.

The only problem I really had was the drivers for the network card were
being rather stubborn.