POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Auxiliary verbs - always irregular? : Re: Auxiliary verbs - always irregular? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:09:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Auxiliary verbs - always irregular?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 17 Jul 2009 23:21:06
Message: <4a613fa2$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> I'm attempting to add Slovak to my list of badly-spoken languages and a
> thought occurred to me - Are the auxiliary verbs (to be, to have) always
> irregular in all languages or just the Indo-European ones or just the
> ones I've come across?
> Warp, what's the case in Finnish? Hildur, what's the case in Icelandic?
> Anyone here speak any native American tongues?

One cause of irregularity, especially in some of the verbs nearer to the
heart of the language, is the replacement of one word by another
(whether from inside the language or without).  One of English's more
famous irregular verbs ("to go") has for its simple past tense, the past
tense of an entirely different verb ("to wend").  The verb "to be" seems
to have suffered this same fate all over the western branch of the
Germanic language family, which means that it happened early in the
history of that language group, and appears to have been in progress
when the different languages became distinguished.

Both German and English appear to have borrowed nouns and verbs heavily
from other languages, and apparently continued to modify each such
borrowed word according to its source rules, rather than applying a
regular paradigm to all of them.

Regards,
John