POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Jul 2009 15:41:30
Message: <4a60d3ea$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> He's confusing IP and "patent". IP is more like trademark.
>
> Um, no. You're confusing "IP" with copyright.

Oh, give me a break. As used in most cases the two terms are
interchangeable. Yes, you can, reasonably, extend the term to include
both "products" and "patents", but that just means you have to them
break the term up into two separate categories when talking about what
the law says, since the same laws don't apply to both of them. In
general, copyright is covered by near perpetual ownership. Patents.. do
eventually run out, even if they have reached the point where they are
sometimes over extended (or just shouldn't have been issued in the first
place).

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {