POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : priority queue : Re: priority queue Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: priority queue
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 16 Jul 2009 04:32:06
Message: <4a5ee586$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16/07/2009 06:18, Anthony D. Baye nous fit lire :
> I was, perhaps, unclear as to what I am looking for.  All I need is a
> First-in-First-out structure.  A plain old queue which, preferably, grows and
> shrinks with need.
>
> I apologize for the confusion.
>
> A.D.B.

As the parser of the SDL is mono-thread/process, using a producer-consumer approach
seems
a bit of overkill and ineffective.
Have you looked at the spline & arrays ?
For arrays, dimensions & dimension_size might be handy in closed macros.

Now, I cannot really see a reason to need a FIFO structure in SDL, short of a somehow
deficient coding at the conception level: reexamine it! (or provide actual code that
cannot be rewritten). When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail...
programmer with single coding scheme must learn new tools and adapt to the language.

At worst, you could use a simple strings as a holder for linearized data (and
implement a
partial parser for your linearized data...), removing parsed parts with
string-operations.

As a side note, it seems that a min & max index of spline functions is missing so far.
(to know the minimal/maximal index usable with a spline, for instance). Might be a
handy
addition to the SDL. (Or did I missed the right page in doc ?)