POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Jul 2009 20:26:02
Message: <4a5e739a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>>
>>> Yet someone complained about patents, and that's 100% exactly how
>>> patents work, so I'm not sure what the benefit would be.
>>
>> Under the current rules, the IP belongs to the employer for the life
>> of the IP.
>
> What country are you talking about?  Patents are owned by the inventor
> and licensed to the employer. A corporation is *unable* to patent anything.
>
>  > Following the US Constitution would make this arrangement
>> unenforceable, because the law could recognize only the creator's
>> ownership, and nobody else's.
>
> It already does.
>
>> Granted, the employer could require lifetime licensing as a condition
>> of employment,
>
> That's exactly how it works.
>
>  > but at least if the employer goes bankrupt, the creator
>> would retain the right to his work, instead of the IP going to some
>> third party.
>
> Um, no. The license is an asset of the bankrupt company.
>

> I take it you've never patented anything?

He's confusing IP and "patent". IP is more like trademark. A company can
"trademark", or otherwise maintain ownership, indefinitely, under
current law, since it has to be explicitly given to public use to
override this. Originally such "IP" protections only extended for a set
number of years, which where actually less than patents, and one had to
register them as something worth your time to protect. You could
*extend* that protection, if you re-registered it within the allowed
time frame. Probably the 60s-70s, or so, companies, including Disney,
successfully argued that some things like Mickey Mouse, where IP that
where central to their business, and, according to them, it was
unreasonable to require them to re-register such things, to maintain
their ownership and sole right to use them, especially after the
original creator(s) where gone. Morons in the government, looking at
business, rather than the end result of such a change, decided that,
"Yes, this is a good point, so lets extend the rule for the life of the
owner.", then later, "Well, if the owner is a company, lets extend it to
the life of the company.", and then, "Well, if a company fails, then
someone is likely to buy the assets, so lets extend the rights to
include 'whom ever buys the IP'", even if the original creator of it,
the company that they ran, and even the product itself no longer exist,
in any legitimate sense. About 90% of everything "ever" produced by
Hollywood in the early years is either lost, or sitting in some studies
warehouse, rotting into oblivion, because of this change. The arguments
by the companies range from "no one wants to see those old films", to,
"we plan to remake them at some point, maybe", which contradicts the
first contention entirely, and/or, "if it become a public work, we can't
make more money off it, by re-releasing it, even though 200+ films rot
past the point where we could possibly hope to do this at all every
year, and we are re-releasing less than 0.001% of the ones we own,
because, see excuse #1."

Imho, they should revoke this "a company has IP rights, and those rights
are basically perpetual, and transferable.", and go back to having to
***actually*** register the fracking stuff. You can't tell me it would
be impossible for Disney to keep a list of everything they want to keep,
  provide reasonable evidence that they are not just letting the
material rot some place, and pass the list on to some agency once ever
10 years, or something, saying, "This is the stuff you want to keep the
IP going on." If they miss something, well then... too frakking bad. If
it was ***so*** important, they wouldn't have missed it, and at least
the public record of its existence is preserved, along with the ability
to derive new works from it.

But, yeah. This issue is parallel too, but an entirely different issue
than patents. Basically, if patent stupidities are the elephant in the
living room, then IP issues are the rhino smashing plates in the kitchen
and trying to trample the stove every time you light a burner to cook
something derived from the few edible left overs in the fridge.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {