POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2009 14:00:26
Message: <4a5cc7ba@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> On 07/14/09 07:15, Warp wrote:
> >    In the case of NABJ, some of their principles are misguided and present
> > that problem. For instance:
> >
> >    "Strengthening ties among black journalists": Us vs. them.

>         I tend to disagree. If you're a group that is consistently
> discriminated against, it will help greatly if that group gets together
> and is organized.

  In other words: Us vs. them.

> >    "Increasing the number of black journalists in management positions
> > and encouraging black journalists to become entrepreneurs": This sounds
> > like racial profiling.

>         No - not unless they simply insist that black people have to be at
> their positions regardless of qualifications.

  "Increasing the number of black journalists in management positions"
sounds exactly like pushing them to those positions without the necessary
qualifications. In other words, it advocates special treatment for some
people based on skin color.

>         It may well be that they're pushing their own members to perform better
> and work harder so that they can get into those positions. And then
> it'll be easier for them to fix any racial problems that may exist.

  And selectively encouraging some people (based on skin color) to perform
better is not racial profiling?

--
                                                          - Warp