POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2009 08:15:21
Message: <4a5c76d9@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         (I have no idea if this one does, though, and I'll grant some of these
> organizations may create more problems than solving them).

  No matter how well-intentioned such organizations might be, one big problem
which they have is that they create an "us vs. them" mentality. They might
talk about equality and removing perceived differences, but in practice they
are just prolonging the concept of those differences and the "us vs. them"
mentality.

  In the case of NABJ, some of their principles are misguided and present
that problem. For instance:

  "Strengthening ties among black journalists": Us vs. them.

  "Sensitizing all media to the importance of fairness in the workplace
for black journalists": Note that it's "black journalists", not "all
journalists, regardless of such unimportant matters as skin color".

  "Increasing the number of black journalists in management positions
and encouraging black journalists to become entrepreneurs": This sounds
like racial profiling.

  And so on.

  As long as things like these are considered "good", racism will never be
eradicated.

--
                                                          - Warp