POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 13 Jul 2009 23:19:54
Message: <4a5bf95a$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/13/09 21:13, Darren New wrote:
>> I had a thought the other day. You can include a header in your posts
>> that inform archivers like Google to delete the post after n days. I
>> believe Google complies. I don't know if it's binding, though.
>
> Sure. But copyright is something everyone has to obey, regardless of
> whether I tell them in advance or not.

	Yes, but would it be allowed for the people who run the POV-Ray
newsgroups to, say, state that if someone posts on it, then the authors
cede ownership to the owners of the newsgroup?

	Or if that's too much, perhaps to simply state that by posting here,
the authors are allowing their posts to be entered into the public domain.

>> Other than people getting irritated, how much trouble would I get into?
>
> That's what I'm saying. I have no idea. I would think if google can take
> a post I posted to a local server here and publish it off their machines
> long after every copy *I* made was deleted, it would be hard to argue
> you were doing anything google wasn't.

	Yes, but Google respects the headers that state that a posting should
be deleted.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

You post on a newsgroup with the header suggesting that your message
should not be archived beyond 30 days.

I notice this, and immediately reply to it, quoting your whole message,
to ensure that your message *will* stay on Google's public archives
indefinitely.

--
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small.