POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2009 22:13:19
Message: <4a5be9bf$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     Well, if you post on a public newsgroup, is there anything in the
> law that states what rights you have?

Well, copyright, I'd assume. :-)

>     If I were to write a letter to the editor of a paper newspaper, who
> has the rights? I'm assuming the newspaper does, but am not sure.

I'm not sure. That brings up a whole tangle of other stuff, including
whether you asked them to publish it, whether there's specific laws that
give the recipient property rights in mail they receive (yes, but maybe not
license to reproduce), and so on.

There are laws that specifically allow (for example) web proxies to hold on
to copies of pages, but it requires no change in form or content. Google
often sites this as their permission, but even highlighting your search
terms is changing form and content.

>     I had a thought the other day. You can include a header in your
> posts that inform archivers like Google to delete the post after n days.
> I believe Google complies. I don't know if it's binding, though.

Sure. But copyright is something everyone has to obey, regardless of whether
I tell them in advance or not.

>     Other than people getting irritated, how much trouble would I get into?

That's what I'm saying. I have no idea.  I would think if google can take a
post I posted to a local server here and publish it off their machines long
after every copy *I* made was deleted, it would be hard to argue you were
doing anything google wasn't.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."