POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : texture project : Re: texture project Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:30:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: texture project
From: Chris B
Date: 13 Jul 2009 17:21:09
Message: <4a5ba545@news.povray.org>
"quoderatd" <quo### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Hello, I am a TA teaching a povray introduction course (3 weeks of povray)
>
> I just went over the 2.3.4 advanced textures section with them.
>
> I have problems coming up with projects with this section.
>

> What are some of projects that involve some texture maps?

I've only come across a few conditions where I've found full texture maps
necessary (I've found layered textures more common). Texture_maps win
through for creating smooth textural transitions, such as you get in more
organic objects, for example, skin texture transitions.

A relatively simple exercise could be to model a snake-like structure with a
sphere sweep and to use a coarse crackle-based texture on the top and a
smoother texture on the belly using a gradient texture map to transition
from top to bottom. Alternatively the skin transition from the back to the
front of an arm or the top to the bottom of a finger could provide a more
subtle exercise (using something you can readily lay your hands on).

There are also some non-organic examples: The surface of an old tarmac road
with transitions where vehicle wheels have left smoothed tracks in the
surface.  Or a baked earth texture on a plane where patches of hard cracked
earth show through an otherwise sandy surface.

Regards,
Chris B.