POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2009 12:26:18
Message: <4a5b602a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   But this is more the reason why I'm completely baffled about the modern
> custom of calling people "black" if one of their parents, or even grandparents
> is black. This is a reminder of the times of ideological racism and slavery,
> and it's precisely what we want to eradicate. Considering "blackness" as
> "more inherited" than "whiteness" is racism in its purest form, both
> historically and ideologically.

Yep. Nowadays, it can serve as an excuse for failure, or a source of pride
(as in, blacks are proud of the accomplishments of Tiger Woods), or a door
into affirmative action.

Interestingly enough, there were a number of black pundits and spokespeople
claiming Barak Obama isn't black because his African parent was actually
born in Africa or something.  Basically, his ancestors were never slaves, so
he isn't really an African-American.

You may be under the mistaken impression that people don't *want* to be
racist. They simply don't want *other* people to be racist against *them*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."