POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 12 Jul 2009 18:26:25
Message: <4a5a6311$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/12/09 16:26, somebody wrote:
> I don't disregard your concerns, but similar objections could be raised for
> inheritance of private property. That one can inherit property or land or
> goods means we end up in a situation where *everything* is owned, but that

	The analogy isn't valid (with respect to what Warp was saying). It's
not a problem with land because there's still a lot of land out there.
Ditto for physical products: The raw resources needed to make them are
available in plentiful supply.

	Warp was talking about an extreme scenario where it would be very hard
to come up with something new, because it'll almost certainly be similar
to *something* from the past 2 thousand years, and all of it would be
copyrighted.

> doesn't stiffle economic growth. We can certainly flourish as a society
> where Smoke on Water is copyrighted. Why would it then be any more

	You're saying it'll work out if it'll become illegal for me to combine
H2 and O2 to get water without paying a licensing fee? Where burning
wood for heat would be illegal unless I pay a licensing fee for the
smoke that is produced?

	I think you're confusing ownership with copyright.

> disasterous if Marriage of Figaro were currently copyrighted as well? I

	What if the Marriage of Figaro were made not available for the next 500
years?

> It would, if anything, encourage more original or contemporary works. On a
> practical matter, licence fees for older works would naturally decline in
> time anyway, and many would voluntarily be donated to public domain. As for

	By individuals, possibly. We're seeing copyright owned by corporations.
Unlike humans, they have no incentive to donate to the public domain,
and are quite happy on holding on to the copyright indefinitely. I
already gave examples in another post.

--
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl