POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 12 Jul 2009 16:57:10
Message: <4a5a4e26$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/12/09 12:38, Warp wrote:
>    Historical pieces of art would be lost because it would be illegal for
> anyone to copy them in order to preserve them. There are *tons* of art
> out there who nodoby knows who owns currently the copyright (because the
> author has died and it's unclear who is currently the owner; even the
> legal owner himself may be completely unaware of the fact).

	Oh yes. Think vaporware. Lots and lots of games out there that people
cherish and love, but that are protected by copyright and the
people/companies who own that copyright aren't bothered to let people
play those games legally.

	I could understand it if those companies were planning on marketing
those games, or making remakes, etc. Then those older games would hurt
sales. But in almost all cases that's just not how it is. The owners are
often megacorps who, as a rule, just maintain the copyright.

	Anyone play the Sierra Quest games? King's Quest? Space Quest? Sierra
stopped making such games in the 90's. I think the last one was in 1997
or 1998. They then got bought. It was becoming clear they had no
interest in those franchises (they didn't even before it got bought).
Then it got bought again, ending up being owned by Vivendi. No plans
whatsoever to continue the franchise. For a while, they contracted a
company to make a new Space Quest, but that project collapsed (the last
Space Quest game was released in 1995).

	Then some guys made a VGA remake of King's Quest 1 in about 2001.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

	They then made a remake of King's Quest 2. Released in late 2002.

	Then they started making a remake of Quest For Glory 2.

	Then Vivendi's lawyers descended upon them. I don't know what
transpired, but I think they made an agreement that Vivendi would own
the copyright and the games were not allowed to be sold - only given
away (which was the original plan any way).

	Another group was working on "King's Quest 9" - and unlike the above 3,
they were working on a "high quality" (i.e. good graphics) game.

http://www.tsl-game.com/

	In 2006 or so, Vivendi descended upon them. The project came really
close to being shut down. They fought hard and finally got permission. I
forget the terms - wouldn't surprise me if Vivendi secured the rights to
those as well.

	Finally, the bad news: Another group was working on Space Quest 7 (SQ7)
- also meant to be of high quality. They'd been working on it since at
least 2002. In 2007 or 2008, Vivendi went after them.

	Now I must point out that all of these groups were not doing anything
in secret, and I believe had even informed (at times repeatedly) Vivendi
of their project. Vivendi rarely acknowledged, and their responses were
always noncommittal - not giving permission, but not forbidding the work
either. The projects all knew the risks.

	They succeeded in getting SQ7 shut down. They wanted to own the
copyright, but unfortunately some of the people who had contributed to
the project had done so on the condition that the copyright will not be
transferred to Vivendi.

	The SQ7 folks tried everything. They were willing to sell it and give
Vivendi all the profits. They were willing to make many other
compromises. But Vivendi just insisted on the copyright.

	Vivendi has no plans to make a Quest game. They don't even make
anything remotely similar. There doesn't seem to be any hint of a plan
that they'll ever get into this market. They also have nothing against
those games - it's not like they have a reason to prevent people from
playing. From the lawyer's perspective, Vivendi owns the copyright, and
there's always a nonzero probability that *one day* Vivendi may want to
make such a game, and SQ7's existence *may* dig into their profits.

	Now the SQ7 developers don't really have any complaints. They knew the
risks, and they felt it was worth it to try. They're taking it well.

	But of course, all the fans of the franchise aren't. This is a clear
case of "copyright abuse" - in the sense that it works against the
stated purpose of copyright. It's using copyright to stifle art, not
promote it.

	And of course, because of these cases, no doubt other groups will be
less likely to produce works of art.

--
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl