POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jul 2009 14:52:57
Message: <4a5a3109$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I think you also need to define more precise what is copyrightable and
> what not.

That is definitely part of the problem also. (Same with patents.)

The other part is that some things are cultural. Can the design of the
Eiffel Tower or Washington Monument be copyrighted? If so, can you refuse to
let tourists take pictures?  Etc.

I saw an interesting article about de facto "copyright" on public domain
artwork. The example was the Sistine chapel, long out of copyright, but
there's only one, and the Vatican doesn't let you take pictures. Hence,
altho it's public domain, there are no copies available to the public.

> elaborate scheme? At what point does it become impossible for future
> owners to repaint it differently without violating my copyright?

I don't think copyright gives you the right to prevent others from
*destroying* your work. :-)

> What about the second one to use pointillism or cubism in a painting?
> Or would that have to be covered with patent laws?

These are all questions that would come up under current copyrights,
regardless of the timeframe granted, really.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."