POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Video Game FPS vs RPG : Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:30:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Game FPS vs RPG
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jul 2009 14:46:40
Message: <4a5a2f90$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> I'd say role-playing in computer games starts where you are free to address
> quests by significantly different means (e.g. stealth vs. brute force vs.
> wits), *and* this subsequently affects other characters' behavior towards you.

Yep. Deus Ex was a prime example of this. I think Black&White tried to do
something like this, but the game was so lacking I never got past the
mid-point, so it's hard to say.

> A good start in this respect, IMO, are games like "The Guild", in which you can
> make friends and enemies among the AI characters, may get charged for crimes,
> and stuff like that...

I'll have to see about that one.

> *That* is what I'd consider "role-playing" in computer games - not exact
> simulation of the D&D combat & skills system.

Exactly my original point. I was trying to figure out why Bioshock was an
RPG and Half-Life was a FPS, and someone somewhere mentioned you can improve
your skills in Bioshock, and buy better versions of skills, and I twigged.
"D&D is an RPG. D&D has level-ups. Hence, RPGs have level-ups."  Bzzt.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."