POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:12:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 12 Jul 2009 12:33:52
Message: <4a5a1070$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/12/09 11:13, Darren New wrote:
> professional artists out of work. You'd also have artists unable to
> leave an inheritance of art to their children.

	Not quite the topic at hand, but if the artists make money on their
work, the children will get that inheritance.

	The more I think about it, the more I feel that excessive copyright is
worse for society. What's excessive? Say over 20 years. I don't think
the government should protect an entity that allows someone to produce a
major piece of work once and live his whole life off of it because the
copyright extends beyond his life. I think it invalidates the whole
benefit to society that copyright is supposed to bring. 20 years should
be sufficient, really.+++

	Having the children continue to profit off of it for a long time sounds
even worse.

+++ Of course, you do have borderline cases where some piece of work may
only begin to show a profit around the time the copyright expires. Small
changes to my scheme will fix that...

--
This shepherd asks his dog to please go and round up the sheep and see
how many there are...