POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jul 2009 12:13:46
Message: <4a5a0bba@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> Just think of the clear-cutting that would take place if only the
> inventor of a thing could hold the patent on that thing,

That's already true.

> and if only the
> author of a work could hold the patent on that work.

Assuming you mean copyright, this is something that can be left up to the
artist - why would you not want to give the artist a choice of selling their
copyright? "Work for hire" would go out the door, so either it would come
back as de facto contractual clauses (like happens with patents or "moral
rights"), or you would have a whole lot of professional artists out of work.
You'd also have artists unable to leave an inheritance of art to their children.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."