POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Warp
Date: 12 Jul 2009 12:08:18
Message: <4a5a0a72@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> It's fairly ironic that efforts to reduce discrimination have actually
> furthered it, only causing the explanation for the discrimination to
> shift.

  As I already mentioned, the problem with anti-discriminatory measures,
which provide "minorities" special treatment which others don't have, is
that the "majority" will in the long run feel resentment because they don't
think it's fair that some people get more than others due to their ethnicity
or skin color. It also doesn't help that people who preach "equal opportunity"
and "equal treatment" act contrary to what they say, rather hypocritically:
The often *don't* treat everybody in the same way, but favor some groups of
people over others.

  If some people have to wait hours in a line while others get to walk past
the line (figuratively, and I'm sure in some cases actually literally), the
people waiting in line and seeing those others getting special treatment are
very likely to grow feelings of resentment.

  Rather ironically, it's very possible that these anti-discrimatory
measures are actually making some people slightly racist or at least
prejudiced, even though they previously were not.

  And as I also said, some cynics actually suggest that this is exactly
the result that many of the multiculturalists want: They have been trying
to prove for years that western countries are completely filled with racism
and prejudice. Multiculturalists have a brilliant way of getting what they
want while pretending to do the "right" thing themselves. And as long as
they can demonstrate the prevalent racism and prejudice, they will get to
keep their position as moral guardians of the society.

--
                                                          - Warp