POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jul 2009 11:25:55
Message: <4a5a0083$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Well yes, most remote administration tools for Linux AFAIK handles
> multiple thingies, not just one software.

Can you tell me a good remote administration suite for Linux machines?

Something that will, say, let me install software on a bunch of desktop
machines, show me what's installed there, update things, make backups,
restore data, and so on?

> I do believe that Windows and IIS also require authentication to do such
> things :-).

Sure, but it's trivial and I don't have to do it by logging in, is what I
meant.  It's pretty trivial even without AD.

>> and you have to look at the files that
>> Apache instance is reading to change the configuration.
>
> If you do, you're not the usual admin of that server.

I mean, Apache reads a file for its configuration. The file is either local
to the machine, or on a network-shared directory.

> Well yes, I either don't know about distributed administration for
> Apache, but that's a whole another level than just remote administration.

Sure. My point is that Linux doesn't really have remote administration. It
has remote access to the local administration. Often just as good or better,
but you need the right tools to make that easier.

You can't remotely reboot a Linux machine without logging into it, for
example. But once you log in, you can do anything you could do if you were
sitting there. (Of course, the latter is true of Windows, too.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."